Transformer for MRI scanner causes evacuation in Mich.

A medical center in Ann Arbor, MI, was partially evacuated on February 2 after a problem with an MRI scanner sent firefighters to the building, according to news reports.

The firefighters were called to the Michigan Medicine's East Ann Arbor Health and Geriatrics Center after people in the building smelled smoke, said Ann Arbor Township Fire Capt. Lewis Kempf in a news story on MLive.com.

The cause was determined to be a transformer in a control panel for an MRI system that was housed in a different room from the actual scanner, officials said. The transformer overheated and gave off smoke when staff shut the machine down.

The wing of the building with MRI and CT scanners was temporarily evacuated. Firefighters shut down the machine and waited for a technician to respond, remaining on scene for about 30 minutes, according to Kempf. Damage to the machine totaled about $100,000.

Page 1 of 606
Next Page