U.S. PET market sees double-digit growth

An estimated 706,100 clinical PET patient studies were performed in the U.S. in 2003, a 58% increase from the 447,200 patient studies performed in 2002, according to a study recently published by market research firm IMV Medical Information Division of Des Plaines, IL.

The U.S. PET studies were performed in 1,500 hospital and nonhospital sites, using dedicated PET or PET/CT scanners, mobile PET or PET/CT scanners, or nuclear medicine cameras with coincidence detection (NM-CD). Oncology studies comprise 93% of PET studies, with cardiology and neurology applications comprising the remaining 7%, IMV said.

PET/CT scanners are making enormous inroads into the PET market, and will continue to do so, according to the firm. An equal number of PET/CT and PET scanners were installed in 2003, and at least 90% of the PET units planned for purchase over the next three years will be PET/CT scanners, said IMV senior director of market research Lorna Young. The study, 2003 PET Census Market Summary Report, provides profiles of more than 80% of the identified PET imaging sites in the U.S., IMV said.

By AuntMinnie.com staff writers
November 18, 2004

Related Reading

AuntMinnie's IMV MarketStat #32: Cardiac versus noncardiac cath lab cases, October 18, 2004

AuntMinnie's IMV MarketStat #31: Procedures performed in radiographic/fluoroscopy (R/F) rooms, September 9, 2004

Digital archiving ubiquitous in U.S. cath labs, September 7, 2004

AuntMinnie's IMV MarketStat #30: External-beam patients per external-beam treatment unit, August 24, 2004

R/F departments going digital, July 16, 2004

Copyright © 2004 AuntMinnie.com

Page 1 of 590
Next Page