The list includes five evidence-based recommendations designed to improve conversations between patients and physicians about what care is necessary and appropriate.
SNMMI recommended the following:
- Do not use PET/CT for cancer screening in healthy individuals.
- Do not perform routine annual stress testing after coronary artery revascularization.
- Do not use nuclear medicine thyroid scans to evaluate thyroid nodules in patients with normal thyroid gland function.
- Avoid using a CT angiogram to diagnose pulmonary embolism in young women with a normal chest radiograph; consider a radionuclide lung study (ventilation/perfusion) instead.
- Do not use PET imaging in the evaluation of patients with dementia unless the patient has been assessed by a specialist in this field.
Additional information can be found at snmmi.org/choosingwisely.If you like this content, please share it with a colleague!
Copyright © 2013 AuntMinnie.com