Digital archiving ubiquitous in U.S. cath labs

Approximately 92% of catheterization labs in U.S. hospitals use electronic archiving technology, according to a study recently published by market research firm IMV Medical Information Division of Des Plaines, IL.

The availability of digital archiving within the cath lab has set the stage for the integration of cardiology information systems with cath lab images, said IMV senior director, market research, Lorna Young. The study, Cardiac Catheterization Lab Market Summary Report, profiled 1,510 sites from 1998 through 2002, which comprises 75% of the identified cath lab sites in the U.S., IMV said.

In addition to documenting the use of digital archiving, the study found that patient cases performed in cath labs increased 17% from 1998 to 2002, to 3.85 million, but were essentially flat from 2001 to 2002. Of these cath lab cases, 89% (3.44 million) are cardiac-related, with the remaining 11% of cases performed for noncardiac applications such as carotid, iliac, femoral, run-off, renal, and extremity studies, the firm said.

By staff writers
September 7, 2004

Related Reading

AuntMinnie's IMV MarketStat #30: External-beam patients per external-beam treatment unit, August 24, 2004

R/F departments going digital, July 16, 2004

Vascular ultrasound on the rise in echo cath labs, June 16, 2004

AuntMinnie's IMV MarketStat #29: Distribution of nuclear medicine cameras, by type, June 1, 2004

AuntMinnie’s IMV MarketStat #28: Proportion of filmless procedures, May 17, 2004

Copyright © 2004

Page 1 of 775
Next Page