Welcome to the 2002 edition of the Minnies, AuntMinnie.com’s annual event to recognize the best of radiology!
Voting in the final round is completed. Below are the final results in each of our 15 categories. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to everyone who participated!
The 15 Minnies winners are as follows. Winners are noted in bold:MOST INFLUENTIAL RADIOLOGY RESEARCHER
1. Dr. Elias Zerhouni, National Institutes of Health
2. Dr. Richard Wahl, Johns Hopkins University
MOST EFFECTIVE RADIOLOGY EDUCATOR
1. Dr. Clyde Helms, Duke University
2. Dr. Emanuel Kanal, University of Pittsburgh
MOST EFFECTIVE RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST EDUCATOR
1. William Faulkner, William Faulkner & Associates
2. Jane Van Valkenburg, Weber State University
MOST EFFECTIVE RADIOLOGY ADMINISTRATOR/MANAGER
1. Martha Koperwhats, Texas Children's Hospital
2. Enrico Perez, Columbia Presbyterian-Cornell University Hospitals
BEST RADIOLOGIST TRAINING PROGRAM
1. Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
2. University of California, San Francisco
BEST RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST TRAINING PROGRAM
1. Weber State University, Ogden, UT
2. Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL
MOST SIGNIFICANT NEWS EVENT IN RADIOLOGY
1. Introduction of 16-slice CT scanners
2. Ongoing shortage of qualified staff
BIGGEST THREAT TO RADIOLOGY
1. Ongoing shortage of qualified staff
2. Increased use of medical imaging by other specialties (turf battles)
HOTTEST CLINICAL PROCEDURE
1. Hybrid CT/PET scanning
2. Whole-body CT screening
SCIENTIFIC PAPER OF THE YEAR
1. Comparison of the performance of screening mammography, physical examination, and breast US and evaluation of factors that influence them: An analysis of 27,825 patient evaluations, Kolb et al, Radiology (October 2002, Vol. 225:1, pp. 165-175).
2. American College of Radiology white paper on MR safety, Kanal et al, American Journal of Roentgenology, (June 2002, Vol. 178:6, pp. 1335-1347).
BEST NEW RADIOLOGY PRODUCT
1. LightSpeed 16 16-slice CT scanner, GE Medical Systems
2. Aquilion 16 16-slice CT scanner, Toshiba Medical Systems
BEST NEW RADIOLOGY VENDOR
1. Advanced Imaging Technologies
MOST INFLUENTIAL RADIOLOGY EXECUTIVE
1. Joseph Hogan, GE Medical Systems
2. Erich Reinhardt, Siemens Medical Solutions
BEST SERVICE COMPANY -- OEM
1. GE Medical Systems
2. Siemens Medical Solutions
BEST SERVICE COMPANY -- THIRD PARTY
1. Philips HCP
2. Summit X-Ray
Click here for a list of all 228 candidates in the 15 categories. Candidates were selected from nominations submitted by AuntMinnie members.
- The Minnies consist of three stages: nominations, semifinals, and finals.
- Final voting closed on November 17, 2002.
- The Minnies cover the one-year period between September 1, 2001 and September 1, 2002.
- You must have been registered as an AuntMinnie.com member no later than September 2, 2002 in order to vote.