After dropping to a low of 2.6% in 2010, the vacancy rate for radiation therapists rose slightly in 2011 to 3.1%, according to the survey. The vacancy rate for medical dosimetrists also decreased last year, to 3.6%, but increased this year to 4.9%.
Vacancy rates represent the percentage of positions that are open and actively being recruited.
Other results from the survey included the following:
- Organizations that employ full-time radiation therapists reported having an average of 7.4 therapists on staff in 2011.
- On average, there were 2.1 full-time medical dosimetrists on staff in 2011.
- On average, facilities have 2.2 linear accelerators, assign 2.3 therapists per linear accelerator, and treat 52 patients per day.
- Approximately 89% of respondents indicated that their facility has a CT device used for treatment simulation.
- 85% of respondents indicated that radiation therapists are the individuals who typically operate the simulator.
Copyright © 2011 AuntMinnie.com