By AuntMinnie.com staff writers

July 31, 2001 --

A child undergoing an MRI exam at a hospital in Valhalla, NY, died Sunday after receiving a fatal head wound while inside the machine. The 10-ton magnet pulled an oxygen canister inside the unit, where the sedated child was being imaged post-surgery, according to an Associated Press report.

Representatives at the Westchester Medical Center would not identify the patient by name, sex, or age, but Edward Stolzenberg, president and chief executive of the medical center, said the hospital assumes full responsibility and "will do anything it can to ease the family's grief." Investigations are under way by the medical center and the state health department, according to AP.

This is the second accident involving an MR machine in the last two months. On June 26, AP reported that a patient’s arm caught fire while undergoing an MR exam at Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center in Clackamas, OR. The patient stated that the arm padding around his arm began smoking about 20 minutes into the exam before bursting into flames. He was able to jump out of the machine in time and suffered superficial burns, according to AP.

By AuntMinnie.com staff writers
July 31, 2001

Copyright © 2001 AuntMinnie.com

 

To read this and get access to all of the exclusive content on AuntMinnie.com create a free account or sign-in now.

Member Sign In:
MemberID or Email Address:  
Do you have a AuntMinnie.com password?
No, I want a free membership.
Yes, I have a password:  
Forgot your password?
Sign in using your social networking account:
Sign in using your social networking
account: